Suburbs and Single Moms

Guest blogger Kimberly Seals Allers: It is often said that behind every cloud, there's a silver lining. Recently, a very dark cloud came over my children. Soon after adjusting to my divorce from their father and their settling in to a routine of weekend visitation, the "wasband" made the unfortunate decision to move back to his home: London, England.

mother and daughter
I'll spare you his reasons -- none of which were, in my opinion, valid enough to leave two beautiful faces behind. Of course, he says he will visit often and fly them over on school breaks. Whatever.

It was a cruel blow to my children, who were used to his close proximity despite our divorce. But when he boarded that plane, so went a restrictive court order that for years had prevented me from moving beyond our local county. It was my window of opportunity. With no more legal restrictions, I was free to create my next life, instead of coping with the remnants of my old one. It was my silver lining.

You see, for some time now, it has been clear to me that the suburbs are no place for a single mom. At least not this one. I have no family nearby. I have no real friendships in the area. After I divorced, my married friends slowly drifted away. I was tired of being the fifth wheel anyway, and there was a new uneasiness about me being around their husbands.It was as if there were a scarlet "D" stamped on my forehead that could only be seen by the ultraviolet light of insecure wives.Memo to the marrieds: Honey, I don't want your husband. I've listened to you complain about him for years.

I'm a social person, and being so far from the City with no real friends and family nearby was terribly lonely. I was too far away for my old friends to just drop by or make casual visits, and being far from the City made it difficult to do the networking and staying-connected stuff that I needed for my business. I found myself slowly slipping into depression. While my kids frolicked in our lovely inground pool and ran all over our 3/4 acre property, I was lonely. I won't even get into the black-single-mother-in-a-nonblack-suburb factor (which, by the way, exponentially increases the loneliness quotient).

Meanwhile, being so far from the City with no support made it difficult to socialize, meet other single moms or network for my business. Every time I stepped out the door, the babysitter meter was ticking. So all in all, the suburbs just weren't user-friendly to my new divorced status. But for a long time, I suffered in silence, trying to make the best of it.

Then I did something drastic: I packed up my children, rented out my lovely house with the lovely pool and moved into a spacious apartment closer to the City. It's still very suburban for city living -- there's a farm across the street and a golf course two blocks away -- but I'm back in my hometown, in one of the best school districts, closer to a possible support network and 20 minutes from N.Y.C.

Before I made the move, I spent many pensive and tearful nights and days weighing the options. Turns out, my kids happen to love the suburbs. They couldn't imagine life without a pool, a big yard and a swing under their favorite tree, and trust me, I second-guessed myself for months, wondering if I were being selfish and pondering what was really best for my children.At the end of the tears, lists, points and counterpoints, and after asking every friend, relative and near-stranger for input, I was clear: When mama is happy, the whole family is happy.

The move was grueling. But the throwing out, driving off and starting over was oh so therapeutic. So long, suburbs. You served your purpose. But you just do not fit me anymore.

next: Help Us, Fairy Jobmother!
anonymous November 2, 2010, 1:02 PM

Oh, hey guys, have I mentioned that I’m black yet in this article?

I don’t want to mention it, but I’m black. Whoops! Did it anyway!

Anon November 2, 2010, 1:18 PM

Good move! The suburbs can be a lonely place. They’re not set up for single people.

How did your husband get away with restricting your ability to move but being able to run off to England himself?

Elsie  November 2, 2010, 4:55 PM

Loved what you wrote about ‘not wanting their husbands’ because that’s how i always felt - like suddenly i was the ‘husband stalker’! Get real - i’m starting over! Good luck to you & yours. God bless. Now >> BREATHE!

Layla November 3, 2010, 6:23 AM

To the first anonymous….took the words right out of my mouth!! This woman drives me batty.

Cheryl Pope November 4, 2010, 8:42 AM

I’m so glad you are happy now. The kids will adjust but you’re right, if mommy is happy-everyone is happy:)

sally November 11, 2010, 9:45 PM

I came across an online community for individual seeking interracial love. It is — — Mixed Connect . c O m —- All singles there are seeking interracial dating or relationships. Interracial is not a problem here, but a great merit to cherish!

poker online December 24, 2010, 8:42 AM

thanks for the informative article. it is quite inspiring

chickenpox in infants February 2, 2011, 10:31 AM

It’s onerous to search out knowledgeable individuals on this matter, however you sound like you understand what you’re talking about! Thanks

anya beveridge February 7, 2011, 3:10 AM

Thanks a lot for sharing this with all of us you actually know what you are talking about! Bookmarked. Kindly also visit my website =). We could have a link exchange agreement between us!

indefinite leave to remain  February 10, 2011, 5:29 PM

I think this is among the most significant info for me. And i am glad reading your article. But should remark on few general things, The website style is perfect, the articles is really great : D. Good job, cheers

Wedding Rings February 10, 2011, 9:54 PM

Hey very cool site!! Man .. Beautiful .. Amazing .. I’ll bookmark your web site and take the feeds also…I’m happy to find a lot of useful info here in the post, we need develop more techniques in this regard, thanks for sharing… …

家具 February 11, 2011, 2:51 AM

Many thanks for this particular site. I actually enjoyed reading it and will definitely talk about it with everyone.

best recumbent exercise bike February 12, 2011, 2:44 AM

Oh my goodness! a tremendous article dude. Thank you However I’m experiencing difficulty with ur rss . Don’t know why Unable to subscribe to it. Is there anybody getting equivalent rss drawback? Anybody who knows kindly respond. Thnkx

las vegas bridal February 14, 2011, 11:18 PM

great points altogether, you just gained a new reader. What would you suggest about your post that you made a few days ago? Any positive?

Local Mobile Monopoly Review February 14, 2011, 11:25 PM

How come at this time there zero much more a lot of these websites? Your content are perfect and get to themes or templates, that are unable to always be recognized all over the place. Please continue penning this sort of fantastic materials, it could be absolutely important. The net can be full of incredible waste, seeing that A single will be delighted when you learn anything. Exactly why typically are not there a lot more? Commonly do not abandon me dangling!

Pharmacy Affiliate Program February 16, 2011, 11:31 AM

Your home is valueble for me. Thanks!…

Tilli February 17, 2011, 5:37 AM

After I originally commented I clicked the -Notify me when new comments are added- checkbox and now each time a comment is added I get 4 emails with the identical comment. Is there any way you may remove me from that service? Thanks!

Homefront Forum February 18, 2011, 9:32 AM

Frickin’ remarkable things here. I’m very glad to see your article. Thanks a lot and i’m looking forward to contact you. Will you kindly drop me a e-mail?

Dog information February 20, 2011, 9:36 AM

Hello my friend! I wish to say that this article is amazing, nice written and include approximately all vital infos. I would like to see more posts like this .

Pharmacy Affiliates February 21, 2011, 3:41 PM

I am constantly invstigating online for ideas that can aid me. Thx!