TV Is the Boob Tube -- Literally!

Guest blogger Michelle Kemper Brownlow: I was listening to my 11-year-old daughter and her best friend talking while we were out shopping one day. "OMG, Snooki has one just like this!" the friend said.

TV
Of course, she was talking about Snooki from "Jersey Shore." I think what turned my stomach the most was her referring to Snooki as though she knew her personally. I don't know about you, but if you have watched even ONE episode of "Jersey Shore" -- actually, just ONE segment between commercials -- the LAST person you would want your 11-year-old befriending would be the foulmouthed horndog with 60-inch breasts known as Snooki.

We wonder why pregnancy rates are going up? We wonder WHERE kids today get their raunchy ideas for parties (if you don't know what I am talking about, just Google "rainbow party")? We wonder why it seems like every teenager has his/her mind in the gutter? Well, it's what they are filling their heads with and what their eyes are seeing!

It doesn't take a genius to realize that if you let tweens and teens watch shows like "Jersey Shore," "Teen Moms," "Jackass" and the like, they will start putting those "stars" on pedestals that raise them up to role-model status. When a network invites a womanizing pig like "The Situation" to star on "Dancing with the Stars," what do you think that tells our kids? He is being rewarded for his actions. So: The drunker you are, the more chaos and drama you cause, the more women you sleep with ... the richer you get.

I heard in one report that "The Situation" will clear $5 million this year. So, he not only gets in bed with anything that breathes and is contracted to allow those "conquests" to be aired on national television, he is being paid handsomely for things we, as parents, hope our children will never do.

I want to know when America is going to wake the hell up and start DEMANDING that our children have more respect for themselves than to sit in front of the boob tube and, well, watch boobs!

next: Men Who Clean House Are Happier
Me November 18, 2010, 8:21 AM

Perhaps the issue is what you are allowing your daughter to watch? Maybe instead of blaming the issue on TV, blame yourself and other parents. You are responsible for your child, you do not have to allow them to sit in front of the television and watch these shows.

Anonymous November 18, 2010, 1:24 PM

Wikipedia says Rainbow parties are an urban legend. However, I don’t let my kids watch “reality” T.V.

anonymous November 19, 2010, 4:18 AM

Yeah, rainbow parties are an urban legend. Doesn’t it just sound like some horny thirteen year old boy’s fantasy?

Anyway, you don’t have to let your children watch jersey shore. It’s not like it’s on every channel. If you bothered to put in the effort, you could find a lot better things to watch.

Michelle Kemper Brownlow November 24, 2010, 5:23 AM

The point was…I DON’T let my children watch those shows…I was commenting on her FRIEND’S comment.

My children only watch TAME things on TV - even though they are both teens.

BTW, rainbow parties are NOT urban legend. I have a close family member who is a school counsellor and I can tell you without a doubt - you need to believe me when I say - THEY ARE REALLY HAPPENING! Don’t be naiive!

Alexis December 1, 2010, 7:08 PM

Please, be nice and stop typing in all caps when you respond to people’s comments. It make’s you sound unreasonable.

anonymous December 19, 2010, 3:28 PM

i’ve been to a rainbow party…

anonymous December 19, 2010, 3:30 PM

sike! they’re totally fake.

poker online December 23, 2010, 11:14 PM

its useless. i don’t think these programs should be shown to our children.

Xrumer hosting December 29, 2010, 6:18 PM

Where are you from?

Ten Tees January 9, 2011, 12:43 PM

Great info. Good to read. I’ve just got a small point to submit about t-shirts.

Anonymous January 13, 2011, 12:24 PM

look im sorry ok i really dident mean to impregnate your daughter but hell she knew what she was doing dident know u were gona blame it on the tv

Breanna January 22, 2011, 3:02 PM

How about you spend more time watching out for the bad shows your kids are watching and less time complaining about it on the internet?

AU February 3, 2011, 1:14 PM

I agree, parents need to be more alert and responsible for their children. We parents need to set and enforce limits as to what our children watch, listen to and who they hang out with. That said, it seems almost futile when most other parents have way different values or do not impose boundaries. Although my kids do not watch these types of shows, they know all about them from discussion with their friends at school. Their friends know that certain topics are off limits for discussion at my home but I am not so naive as to think they do not just talk about the same things elsewhere…

As for “rainbow parties” I have a friend who works at a school and she walked into an “empty” classroom and busted 8 kids in the midst of one. It happens.