Can You Be Over-Prepared for Your Baby's Arrival?

Guest blogger Mom-To-Be: I thought I was prepared to have my baby. The nursery was finished. The baby clothes were washed. Even the diapers were purchased.

mother carrying baby
Then my family came to visit, and the rapid-fire questions started coming at me.

"Is the car seat installed?"

"Is your hospital bag packed?"

"Is your birth plan written?"

My head started spinning and I could feel the sweat rings forming on my shirt. At the time, I was still six weeks out, and certainly I still had time to pack, right?

Wrong, if you ask my family -- which is full of mothers who all wanted to give me their unsolicited two cents.

I felt like I was going to cry as I lugged my bag from the closet and started to fill it with the things on the checklist that my aunt had printed off the Internet (hair ties, lip balm, maxi pads, granny panties ...). By the time I was finished, all that was missing was the kitchen sink. And I was exhausted.

My husband reluctantly turned off the football game, left his seat on the couch and headed out to the garage to install the car seat. We drew the line at putting a car seat base in our second car (that was our little "fight back" moment,) although my husband later found himself putting together the Pack N Play, the swing and the mobile.

Don't get me wrong: These things are, of course, helpful and necessary. But I feel like I haven't had a chance to breathe, and everyone I talk to seems to add something to my to-do list. At this point, I have backups for my backups, more diapers than I could possibly ever need and more lists than I know what to do with.

Isn't it true that as much as you plan for a baby, a lot of it just flies out the window once the little one is born? And even though I know they mean well, is my family over-preparing me?

Moms, what do you think?

next: Christmas Wish List for Moms
Kelley December 21, 2010, 7:44 AM

no need for them to panic you, but you will be glad that swing and mobile are ready to be used when you want them….time does fly with the baby and you won’t want to waste it trying to get something assembled…best of luck!!

Jilly December 21, 2010, 8:56 AM

Tell them to chill out and they are upsetting you! You wan to enjoy this not be paranoid. I know they think they are being helpful but it is making you crazy.
You will be so tired after the birth you will not think anything is as important as all this worry!
You-toiletries, panties, slippers
Baby-onsies, blanket, pacifier, bassinet, diapering supplies and food supplies(if breastfeeding, no supplies needed, except lanolin for your tatas! They will hurt, but persevere and it WILL go away and you will have the most awesome experience, plus the conveinience is incredible!)
And hey, its not like you don’t have people waiting right there to run to the nearest store to get you what you need, the world is not gonna shut down, just enjoy your new baby!!

Pamala December 21, 2010, 1:00 PM

I didn’t even unpack my bag that I took to the hospital. LOL!!

But you will be glad that the other stuff was put together. It’s easier to do it now than to wait and do it later.

michelle December 21, 2010, 3:55 PM

It doesnt sound like you are overpreparing. it sounds like the family though well meaning stressed you out a bit.
Sometimes, it may get aggravating when everyone is giving their two cents. Try not to get too streessed and listen to ideas that make sense.

My two cents December 22, 2010, 11:24 AM

Instead of tossing all this on you for you to worry about, why don’t they get it done for you?! sure, birth plan, hospital bag and the like are something you need to do, but putting things together and getting everything else ready, they could throw in a helping hand instead of add to your to do list! Sounds like you are fully prepared, take a breath, relax, and if family or friends come up with something else you “need” to do before baby, tell them where to find it and where the tools are. you are pregnant and need to relax. If it is that serious and not done yet, they can lend a helping hand…instead of just causing you stress. If they aren’t willing…tell them to keep their opinions and suggestions to themselves. :) Congrats!!

???? December 22, 2010, 12:24 PM

maxi pads, HA HA

Jaime December 22, 2010, 3:45 PM

I completely agree with ‘My two cents’ People are not fully aware of all the stress they unintentionally lay on a soon to be/new mommma. Don’t be afraid to ask for help or even demand it at times when you are feeling overloaded! Happy mommy happy baby :)

and yes… maxi pads are a good one to have hahahaha

Charleen December 24, 2010, 11:04 AM

One thing I see too many mother-to-be not prepare enough for if at all is breastfeeding. I strongly suggest that those planning to breastfed at least read a good book specifically on breastfeeding. If your hospital offers breastfeeding classes consider taking that too. Finely, I suggest you line up someone who can help with breastfeeding problems postpartum such as lactation consultant or breastfeeding support group since too many doctors are poorly trained about breastfeeding support to rely on them as mean of breastfeeding support.

Kerrie Sival December 28, 2010, 1:31 AM

Came clueless, left worried. Thanks for the post. - If you don’t know how to do something, you don’t know how to do it with a computer. Attributed to Anonymous

GMAT test prep January 1, 2011, 1:30 AM

Hello there I’m getting a technical obstacle reading your web site, I am having 501 pages quite frequently, I’m not very clear as to the reasons however when I reload the web page it returns right.

Terry Bohonik January 2, 2011, 6:22 AM

Interesting post reminds me of another gem. - When you cannot get a compliment any other way, pay yourself one. - Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

Terry Gilomen January 3, 2011, 4:11 PM

Hi! I absolutely love reading your posts. thank you for the cool share. - Program complexity grows until it exceeds the capabilities of the programmer who must maintain it. Attributed to Laws of Computer Programming

Kate Melaro January 5, 2011, 1:58 AM

You are obviously extremely passionate about your position. I commend you on your passion and urge you to thanks. Thanks. - (A company that helps make this a better world - ). GRACIAS. - I’m astounded by people who want to ‘know’ the universe when it’s hard enough to find your way around Chinatown. Woody Allen Born 1935

Kelly Shiminski January 5, 2011, 8:10 AM

Hi, at this point I’m seeking with my personal iphone four new pattern suggestions so I’ve observed your web site. Your pattern is genuinely easy but in addition compare it in ones posts. I imagine I’d personally use it for my own primary draft. Thank you because of this concept! - Computers are like Old Testament gods; lots of rules and no mercy. Attributed to Joseph Campbell

Kingsley Panila January 5, 2011, 9:49 AM

I was studying something else using this on another blog. Intriguing. Your perspective on it really is novel. - I don’t want to achieve immortality through my work; I want to achieve immortality through not dying. - Woody Allen Born 1935

Kelly Harde January 5, 2011, 2:52 PM

Interesting standpoint. Thanks for the place. - Were it offered to my choice, I should have no objection to a repetition of the same life from its beginning, only asking the advantages authors have in a second edition to correct some faults in the first. - Benjamin Franklin 1706 - 1790

Terry Weik January 6, 2011, 2:15 PM

Friends this can be a very hectic process with selecting the finalists. Specially should the nominations are so several. Its better they take their unique time and get the correct ones on the final lists. - After two days in hospital I took a turn for the nurse. W.C.Filelds 1880

Terry Perkes January 6, 2011, 10:49 PM

Very good desgin on this internet site. It really is person and compares for your posts. Don´t give up and make your own point! - You can live to be a hundred if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be a hundred. Woody Allen Born 1935

Terry Lebovic January 7, 2011, 12:26 PM

I hope Next2Friends gets to the next round. - The food here is terrible, and the portions are too small. Woody Allen Born 1935

Kate Arntt January 9, 2011, 3:46 AM

This is really interesting! I really loved this article! I have established something JUST like that! - Mr. Birmingham - I think there is a world market for maybe five computers. Attributed to Thomas Watson