Can You Be Over-Prepared for Your Baby's Arrival?

Guest blogger Mom-To-Be: I thought I was prepared to have my baby. The nursery was finished. The baby clothes were washed. Even the diapers were purchased.

mother carrying baby
Then my family came to visit, and the rapid-fire questions started coming at me.

"Is the car seat installed?"

"Is your hospital bag packed?"

"Is your birth plan written?"

My head started spinning and I could feel the sweat rings forming on my shirt. At the time, I was still six weeks out, and certainly I still had time to pack, right?

Wrong, if you ask my family -- which is full of mothers who all wanted to give me their unsolicited two cents.

I felt like I was going to cry as I lugged my bag from the closet and started to fill it with the things on the checklist that my aunt had printed off the Internet (hair ties, lip balm, maxi pads, granny panties ...). By the time I was finished, all that was missing was the kitchen sink. And I was exhausted.

My husband reluctantly turned off the football game, left his seat on the couch and headed out to the garage to install the car seat. We drew the line at putting a car seat base in our second car (that was our little "fight back" moment,) although my husband later found himself putting together the Pack N Play, the swing and the mobile.

Don't get me wrong: These things are, of course, helpful and necessary. But I feel like I haven't had a chance to breathe, and everyone I talk to seems to add something to my to-do list. At this point, I have backups for my backups, more diapers than I could possibly ever need and more lists than I know what to do with.

Isn't it true that as much as you plan for a baby, a lot of it just flies out the window once the little one is born? And even though I know they mean well, is my family over-preparing me?

Moms, what do you think?

next: Christmas Wish List for Moms
Kate Stremi January 10, 2011, 1:46 AM

Interesting post reminds me personally of another gem. - Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in getting up every time we do. - Confucius

Kate Norkin January 10, 2011, 4:30 PM

I enjoy to play games, but I particularly love to play Big Game Rogue. Desire to find quite a few Big Game Hunter Cheats? Just press my website. - That’s what’s cool about working with computers. They don’t argue, they remember everything and they don’t drink all your beer. Attributed to Paul Leary

Kate Knightly January 11, 2011, 8:55 PM

Interesting viewpoint. Thanks for the posting. - I have been laid up with intentional flu. - Samuel Goldwyn 1882 - 1974

Kieran Matelich January 11, 2011, 9:38 PM

That is the fitting weblog for anybody who wants to seek out out about this topic. You understand a lot its virtually laborious to argue with you (not that I really would want…HaHa). You undoubtedly put a brand new spin on a topic thats been written about for years. Nice stuff, simply nice! Let’s have some new clichés.

Kate Keay January 12, 2011, 5:07 AM

There’s noticeably a bundle to know about this. I assume you made certain nice points in options also. meleon internet browser. But fortunately hardly anyone uses it any longer but you may want to look into it.

Kole Mckennzie January 13, 2011, 6:09 AM

Interesting viewpoint. Thanks for the submit. - Why are our days numbered and not, say, lettered? - Woody Allen Born 1935

Kole Galuszka January 16, 2011, 7:07 PM

Then all over again, the opposite could end up being true. - Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value. Albert Einstein

Kole Gallero January 18, 2011, 7:19 PM

Then yet again, the opposite could always be true. - When we played softball, I’d steal second base, feel guilty and go back. - Woody Allen Born 1935

Karrie Shekarchi January 21, 2011, 2:53 AM

Just proves the old adage. It’s an ill wind that blows poor quality. - Not even computers will replace committees, because committees buy computers. Attributed to Edward Shepherd Mead

Kole Siriani January 22, 2011, 11:41 AM

It only travels to show where there’s will there’s the best way. Keep on trying. - Here comes the orator with his flood of words and his drop of reason. - Benjamin Franklin 1706 - 1790

Karrie Mochel February 20, 2011, 10:56 AM

I seem to be having a problem subscribing to your own RSSfeed. It comes upward with 404. Anyone in case its a easy to help resovle problem or in case it’s just me. I’ve employed IE & opera. Im having Eset Firewall in addition to im not exactly if it’s fired up. I am not exceptional with computers. I will come back to your site and see when you’ve got made a reply. Fantastic - The real danger is not that computers will begin to think like men, but that men will begin to think like computers. Attributed to Sydney Harris

Karrie Kiefert February 21, 2011, 12:56 AM

This is a great approach to what, for a few, may be a questionable topic. Very well although out post. - Science is organized knowledge. Wisdom is organized life. - Immanuel Kant

Kandi Masello February 22, 2011, 5:13 PM

I hope Next2Friends gets into the next round. - The food here is terrible, and the portions are too small. Woody Allen Born 1935

Karrie Lacock March 25, 2011, 2:32 AM

Came clueless, kept worried. Thanks for this post. - The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don’t have. - Woody Allen Born 1935

Lance Sinopoli March 29, 2011, 7:36 PM

Keep working ,splendid job!

Neil I. Wilkerson March 31, 2011, 3:25 AM

Kay U. Burton April 5, 2011, 7:14 AM

Hi all, - came across this webpage unintentionally when searching round the internet this morning, and happy that I did! I like the layout and tones, but I should say that I’m having problems when it loads. I’m using Netscape 8 browser for mac, and the menu bit doesn’t line up as it should be. i am convinced I’ve applied the equivalent design on a client’s online site, but the menu seems fine on mine. I have an idea the fault is at this end & I guess it’s about time to switch!