'Honey, Santa's on the Phone!'

Momlogic's Julie: When my son got a call from Santa, it was indeed a magical moment for all.

santa_phone.jpg

A few years back, I read a great piece in the New York Times about personalized Santa calls. What? Personalized Santa calls?! I had never heard of them before, but now that I knew they were in demand, I suddenly had to get one for my son (then 4). How excited he would be to hear from the big man himself! (Plus, I figured this saved me a trip to visit the mall Santa, who I always found a bit creepy anyway.)

I logged on to SantaSpeaking.com, paid my $21.95, and scheduled a call for the next day. Finally, the time came. My video camera was already running when I picked up the phone. "Ho ho ho, is Holden there?" Santa boomed. "Sure is," I said, my voice trembling with excitement. I told Holden that Santa was on the phone for him, and Holden dashed over to the phone as fast as his feet would go.

I put the call on speakerphone so I could capture it all on video. I had filled out a questionnaire online, so "Santa" knew what Holden wanted for Christmas already. His eyes were as big as saucers when Santa said, "So, I hear you want a Power Ranger, Transformers, and a Thomas the Train set." That was proof that Santa had gotten his letter! When Santa reminded Holden to leave water out for the reindeer, Holden solemnly promised to come through.

As we hung up, Holden was a true believer. And so was I. It was the best $21.95 I ever spent.

next: Buying Glasses Online
Gwen December 20, 2010, 7:27 AM

Hooray for Christmas magic. However, 21.95??? Don’t you have a brother or a friend or a husband even who can call and pretend to be Santa for free???

Pamala December 20, 2010, 9:25 AM

Yeah that price is a bit outrageous.

Cristin December 20, 2010, 10:05 AM

Even BETTER than a phone call from Santa… a **FREE** VIDEO! www.portablenorthpole.tv You fill in a questionnaire about your child and immediately get a video of Santa talking to your child. It is the COOLEST thing! My 2 daughters (6 and 3) were absolutely AMAZED! It gives you the option to buy it, but why buy it when you can save the link for free? Even better than Santa reminding them to leave water out, Santa can tell your child to be nice to his/her brother/sister, listen to his/her parents, go to bed when told, etc.

Tanya December 21, 2010, 7:27 AM

I’ve used portablenorthpole.tv the last two years and it’s fantastic. The video is completely customizable. Add your own images, kids wish list and details about your son/daughter. You can even select the level of “goodness” your child has achieved (which worked well for me since my son hasn’t been behaving in school so he was on “naughty watch”…boy was that effective in turning him around!!) All that information is taken and you get a customized video in seconds to preview and send where ever you want it to go.

This is the second year we’ve gotten a video from Santa and it was just as exciting as it was last year!

Pop December 21, 2010, 8:34 PM

Hi…

Maris Canard December 30, 2010, 2:28 AM

Hello I am keeping getting a difficulty browsing your web site, I’m having 502 messages pretty often, I am not too sure as to why but when I refresh the page it returns okay.