Miley Turns 18: The Hit Heard 'Round the World

momlogic's Vivian:

Miley Cyrus

Miley Cyrus is by no means the first newly christened 18-year-old to party her ass off.

In this TMZ video, we clearly see Miz Cyrus taking a big ol' hit of something, but that something isn't your typical, dispensary-sanctioned, softcore weed.

It's being said that she was smoking "salvia," also known as "seer's sage," a hardcore Mexican herb with hallucinogenic properties that more and more kids are tripping out on. Salvia is reportedly legal in the state of California, so Miley will likely be free of repercussions -- other than the tsks she hears from those who are still peeved that Hannah Montana isn't pure as the driven snow.

Will we next see Miley desperate to score more salvia dark alleys? Doubt it. In researching the effects of the drug, TMZ interviewed an L.A. psychiatrist named Dr. Joe Haraszti, who said, "Animal data suggest that salvia is not addictive. But people will try it once and since it's such an intense and unpleasant experience ... they will not want to do it again."

Yikes! Have you guys heard anything about salvia? Is it the rage among kids these days? What's the word?

next: Don't Go Broke This Holiday Season!
Karen December 13, 2010, 12:09 PM

I tried salvia years ago and it was fun… but very short lived. The effects were very quick to wear off and left me with a huge headache. Its probably not something people will become frequent users of because it’s not all that great. Curiosity is probably the number one reason people even try it….

lissette December 13, 2010, 10:54 PM

I tried salvia and I had the worst experience evr it isn’t worth it and if she’s smart then she will grown up but I do know that alot of the marines smoke salvia because It is not seen In drug test and cause it Is legal in cali.

CosmoGirl December 14, 2010, 12:22 AM

LOL wow the author doesn’t get out much, does she?

Carolee a.ka. Blogging Biz Mom December 14, 2010, 4:05 AM

I can’t get over how much she has “grown-up”…she used to be every mothers dream…

…a nice sweet girl for your daughter to emulate..maybe a bit of a smart a$$, but I believe that was for the show.

Now, I don’t want my 12 yr old even looking at Miley with some of those outfits she wears…

..and if these kids are tripping out with “weed” that has Hallucinogenic properties, and major headaches…maybe marijuana would be preferable :-)

Not that they should do either, just seems marijuana is the lesser of two evils.

JC December 14, 2010, 6:27 AM

Another Disney princess growing up and trying new things.

Melissa December 14, 2010, 7:04 AM

I’ve have actually NEVER heard of Salvia. In a way I’m glad, because it shows that I do not get into that kind of garbage or hang around those types of crowds. I think it is pretty sad that teens and adults feel that they need to use any type of drug whether it be legal or illegal. I get high every day. High on the Lord that is. If more people, including Miley, really knew Him they would know that they do not need anything else but Him to get through life.

Cap December 14, 2010, 9:04 AM

Salvia is nothing special. You hallucinate for 5 minutes and then regain your composer. No biggie.
Weed’s not horrible either. It’s calming and relaxing. The big fear is that it’s a gateway drug. Not necessarily so.

And Melissa, not everyone believes in the invisible man above. Personally, I think He lives with Santa, the Easter bunny, the Tooth Fairy… In fact, it’s sad people need to believe in God just to keep themselves from doing bad things or being depressed that there may be no afterlife and that a shroom-eating hippie named Jesus may have ate more than he should have. You don’t believe the homeless wacko is the next son of God like he professes, do you? We’re not as gullible as we once were.

Melissa December 14, 2010, 9:08 AM

Cap

I’m sorry you feel that way. Too bad for you.

Army wife and mom December 14, 2010, 10:10 AM

Just sad, one day everyone will know the truth and it will be too late for them. Merry Christmas!

buckie48192 December 14, 2010, 11:28 AM

Well, Miley is being a teen I guess, experimenting like most teens do, but after that experience, she will probably never do that again. All we can do is pray for her. CAP, sorry you feel like that about Jesus, thats only because you haven’t experienced Him, so-to-speak. Ask Him to come into your heart, when your all alone, so nobody has to know what your doing, unless you want to, but hey, thats up to you, but ask Him to show himself to you in some way, which He will choose the way, and He will. He likes to show himself when non-believers ask Him to, seriously. After all, He is the one who created life (us) I’m not imposing my belief’s on you, just being a friendly caring person and telling you like somebody did for me. Its called having love and compassion for my fellow human being. There’s nothing wrong with that… we all need someone to care about us…

Michele December 15, 2010, 4:51 PM

How sad that people use this as a forum to convert instead of responding to the author and her questions…
I think Miley is just being a teen and experimenting. Unfortunately she has a bigger responsibility than most teens in that a lot of pre-teens look to her behavior and actions as a role model. She should have thought of that before being caught on camera :-( I don’t think salvia and weed are that different. More like two sides of the same coin.

whitney December 16, 2010, 8:53 AM

Seriously does this stuff need to be put out there the last thing i need is my miley obsessed daughter to ask me what she is doing with a bong. Some things should be kept private. The people that put this stuff ou there should realize that kids don’t need to see this they like her and next thing you know they will think it’s cool cuz miley is doing it. So thanks for putting it out there so i can explain it to my seven year old.

whitney December 16, 2010, 8:59 AM

Seriously I agree that weed is the lesser of two evils also, and just because people smoke weed doesn’t mean that they are bad people. Seriously you know how many times i have prayed and tried to get through the days and seriously what good has the man supposedly above done for me and my family? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. so you keep praying if that is what you do but some people prefer to actually see and feel the effects they’re looking for.

BillChuck December 19, 2010, 2:03 PM

Evil is not. Simply put. It is not. Also too good is not. Simply put. It does not exist. There is no limitation to the interpretations of spiritiuality, so why digress into the politics of society if none of us can even agree on what our imaginations try to manifest? Salvi divinorum. Don’t know it? Don’t understand it? It’s a plant. It grew here on Earth. That snow-globe we stand on and rape all the time? That one. Its about as bad as you, or I. Meaning you make meaning by what you think it is. You want to think its bad for you. Then it probably is. Keep this in mind however. Everyone outside of YOU does not have the same state of mind that you do. So chill. Keep going. Believe in whatever you want. This is America. And I’ll defend that idea till I’m dead. Keep up the rebellion girl. Your 18. You have your whole life ahead of you. Don’t let anyone else tell you how to live your life, especially your father.

Jim January 23, 2011, 1:59 PM

Another Disney princess growing up and trying new things.
house painting cost

Raymon Ortlieb February 1, 2011, 3:40 PM

Of course, what a fantastic site and enlightening posts, I will bookmark your site.Have an awsome day!

Yanira Dembitzer February 20, 2011, 6:53 PM

Hello. Great job. I did not imagine this. This is a impressive story. Thanks!

Leo Gerster February 24, 2011, 1:42 AM

Great website! I am loving it!! Will be back later to read some more. I am bookmarking your feeds also

Potenzmittel kaufen February 25, 2011, 4:09 PM

We are a group of volunteers and starting a new initiative within our neighborhood. This post provided us all with valuable information to help us begin.

praca February 26, 2011, 1:22 PM

I think this is among the most vital information for me. And i am glad reading your article. But wanna remark on some general things, The web site style is wonderful, the articles is really great : D. Good job, cheers