My Kid's Preschool Dissed Hanukkah!

At my kid's school, it's beginning to look a lot like Christmas -- and NOTHING else.

driedle.jpg

Guest blogger Mom De Plume: Every time I pick my daughter up from preschool, I can't help noticing that her little classroom has turned into a winter wonderland. And not just any winter wonderland: a Christmas wonderland. On every available space, there are drawings of Christmas trees, Santas and reindeer. A Christmas tree stands in the corner, covered with angel and elf decorations.

As a Jew living in a mostly Christian society, I'm used to the pervasiveness of Christmas and the disparity of how much "face time" Hanukkah gets in schools. But it really hit me the other day when I noticed, at the far, far end of my daughter's classroom, a couple of store-bought menorah pictures taped haphazardly to a door. That's it?! Kind of insulting. Couldn't they at least try to celebrate the holiday?

I've also been told there will be a Christmas program wherein the tiny tots will belt out "Jingle Bells" and "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer." I get it: Those songs are fun to sing. But what about "Dreidel, Dreidel, Dreidel"? It's a nice ditty, too. And it's about a toy!! And CLAY. Super fun!

To be fair, there is no baby Jesus hanging around the class. But is it too much to ask that my religion not be shoved into a corner?

next: Travel with Kids: Cabo San Lucas
Margorie Pein December 7, 2010, 3:40 AM

Wow! Thank you! I permanently wanted to write on my site something like that. Can I include a portion of your post to my site?

Cherryl Guzman December 7, 2010, 4:08 AM

I am continually looking online for articles that can benefit me. Thank you!

Charlotte December 7, 2010, 7:29 AM

I’ve been raised catholic, so I’ve always just celebrated Christmas. However, I do like seeing Hanukkah. And Dreidel Dreidel Dreidel is one of my favorite holiday songs. (It’s just so much fun, I learned how to play in Kindergarten, but I’ve forgotten…I might look up the rules now so I can play again).

I work at Toys R Us now, and all we had for Hanukkah was a single small wall of stuff, that was taken down the day before the holiday started. I later found some of the extra stuff from the wall stuffed into the back. I brought it back out and put it on one of the many christmas walls, so at least it was on the floor. There are a lot of Jewish people who come in asking for some Hanukkah stuff. I didn’t think it was fair to tell them we didn’t have anything, if there were at least a few small things that were hiding in the back. And with as much of a Jewish population we have where I live, you’d think they would have at least Dreidel Dreidel Dreidel on our music playlist, but no. The whole thing is just ridiculous.

K8 December 7, 2010, 8:36 AM

Children, Pull Out Your Chickens

If you include one or two…you need to include them all.

The school kept to the secular holiday…you said no Baby Jesuses…so is shouldn’t be that big a deal.

PS, I’m Pagan.

Allison December 12, 2010, 9:38 AM

I find it the opposite where with my daughter’s preschool. Hardly anyone is Jewish, yet the kids spent a whole day on Hanukkah activities, and of course we can’t say “Christmas”, we have to say “Holiday”. So annoying.

Ten Tees January 9, 2011, 8:24 AM

Good article! Good and fun reading. There is one thing to offer about funny shirts.

watch royal wedding online April 4, 2011, 10:45 PM

As a Newbie, I am constantly browsing online for articles that can help me. Thank you.