No 'Twilight' for Christmas?

A volunteer at the Canadian Salvation Army says she was ordered to dispose of "Twilight" and "Harry Potter" toy donations because these "pagan" toys do not fit in with the organization's Christian beliefs and values. Perhaps they have not heard that these are the most sought-after toys of the season ...?

Twilight
While the Examiner reports that the Salvation Army is disputing this story, the volunteer is sticking by her claims.

Moms, what do you think? Should the "Twilight" and "Harry Potter" toys be banned on principle -- or distributed without question?

next: The Holiday Birthday Bummer
KS December 23, 2010, 8:31 AM

I think if the Salvation Army in Canada has so many donations they can afford to throw away the items that hard working people have gone out of their way to pay for and drop off the citizens should find a more deserving charity.

They should at the very least have the tenacity to post these types of policies so that the good people who go out of their way in an effort to do good aren’t doing it to simply fill a garbage dump.

This type of religious discrimination is the epitome of ignorance in my opinion. Doing things like this is one of the swiftest ways to ensure your donations significantly decrease.

I’m sure it wasn’t just Pagans who purchased these types of toys thinking they were popular (not to mention pricey) and would have been a very unexpected surprise to a child. SHAME on them.

Mama Mia December 23, 2010, 9:45 AM

Yeah, I don’t agree with this, either. I’m a Christian (-Catholic) and don’t like Twilight or Harry Potter, for religious AND secular reasons, but the toys are hardly evil and I doubt the good people who donated them had anti-Christian agendas. They ARE a popular toy this season and the kids who receive these gifts are usually pretty thrilled with anything they get. I think whoever ordered them disposed of was being over-scrupulous. However, it also sounds like it was the opinion of one (or a few) people, not the Salvation Army organization as a whole. Please don’t let this sour you on the idea of donating to this wonderful charity who does SO much good, all year round.

Jenn D December 23, 2010, 11:04 AM

Salvation. Army.

Honestly, how can anyone be surprised that a *Christian* organization is enforcing their *Christian* values. The Salvation Amy has never once pretended to be a secular organization, they are a Church, for crying out loud.

Alison December 23, 2010, 3:02 PM

I’m catholic and love twilight. It’s not pagen cuz guess what?!? Vampires aren’t real!!!
If I like unicorns, does that make them pagan?

Spottedfeather December 23, 2010, 3:17 PM

MamaMia, are you serious ? How can you possibly not like Harry Potter because you’re a christian ? They don’t promote anything evil. It’s just a good, exciting Good Beats Evil story. I feel so sorry for you that you can’t see that. Just because you don’t like something doesn’t make it bad. You don’t know what you’re talking about.

Gail Cooke December 23, 2010, 3:19 PM

Personally I have nothing against Harry Potter and Twilight. Having said that, I look at it this way: Their organization, thier rules. I’m cool with that.

Russell December 23, 2010, 4:31 PM

I belong to the Salvation Army (USA) and trust me when I say this, “The Salvation Army whether it be in USA, Canada, or any other country would never throw any toy away.”

Sometimes there are volunteers that I have to let go and they are not happy so they make up stories in their futile effort to “get back” at The Salvation Army.

The Salvation Army however, does not believe in the most part getting into a media war with anyone. When they do it is only when the story is big enough and it seems that it is lasting longer than desired. This is a minor story and will soon disappear and The Salvation Army most likely will not engage in it.

With my experience and history with The Salvation Army is telling me this volunteer is lying. Plain and simple.

Yes, The Salvation Army is a Christian Church but throwing toys away never. People who want to believe in the worst in Christians will have no problem in jumping on this story.

Francis Ellis December 23, 2010, 6:49 PM

I am a HUGE fan of a book called The Run: London’s Secret (http://londonssecret.blogspot.com) by an unknown UK author named Ella Roberts, which could potentially be as HUGE as Harry Potter / Twilight / Narnia if people know about it. I want to make it go VIRAL for Xmas so we can find out what happens in the sequel - it ends on a cliffhanger. I just need peoples’ help: read it & recommend / share it with friends / network, mention it in articles / radio shows / television shows - this book deserves the attention!

james December 23, 2010, 6:58 PM

its stupid whats the point , theyre only toys . why bann them?

Mama Mia December 24, 2010, 7:26 AM

Spotted Feather apparently didn’t get the point of my comment. And James apparently didn’t understand (or fully read?) the article.

Spottedfeather December 24, 2010, 4:57 PM

I understood completely what you said. You said that you’re against Harry Potter for religious reasons. But that doesn’t make any sense. It’s a good against evil story. If you go into a story looking to find something bad, you’ll probably find it. But there’s nothing bad there and no reason to not like Harry Potter for religious reasons. I can understand not liking witchcraft, but there is no real witchcraft in Harry Potter. The “witchcraft” in the books is just special powers. When a character decides to use the powers for evil, THEN it’s witchcraft. Would you call a person that’s psychic that helps find lost kids evil ? If you would, then you’re just as bad.

???? December 25, 2010, 10:53 AM

LAME!

Anonymous December 25, 2010, 11:21 AM

I love mocking other people’s beliefs, it’s so much fun. The level of outrage helps heat my home too. Keep it up people, come on, let’s get some Harry Potter vs Twilight hatred going.

immigration solicitor  February 10, 2011, 3:17 PM

Wonderful goods from you, man. I have understand your stuff previous to and you’re just extremely magnificent. I really like what you have acquired here, really like what you’re saying and the way in which you say it. You make it enjoyable and you still take care of to keep it sensible. I can not wait to read far more from you. This is actually a tremendous website.

Fredda Lompa March 16, 2011, 12:39 PM

excellent almanac you’ve chalk up

Guy H. Church March 29, 2011, 6:37 PM