The Holiday Time Machine: Family

Dr. Wendy Walsh: It will be dark and cold. There will be crowded airports, sweating throngs, pat-downs and whining toddlers. There will be bad airplane food and lack of sleep. But at the end of the journey, my kids and I will be met with pairs of eyes that squint in shared formation. People who carry our genes. Family.

Family dinner
Holidays bring a specific form of stress. Getting together with relatives is the closest thing we have to a time machine. At holiday tables, we are strapped in our seats by the centrifugal force of old family systems -- a world we'd ventured away from years ago, never thinking about a return ticket. Slammed back in time, the favored child still gets a wink from Mom, though his graying hair and paunch suggest a lost luster. The sister-to-sister sibling rivalry finds a modern battle as polite mothers now shoot competing stories of their children's accomplishments.

The clash of social class is epic. Decades of movement up or down networks of human ladders erupt over brands of mustard, types of lettuce or beverages. Dijon, arugula and Cabernet strike condescending blows at cousins who wash down iceberg and American yellow mustard with a frosty malt. The end of unemployment insurance seems a more patriotic conversation than environmental dangers, as one camp focuses on practicality and another on ideals, all designed to advertise social class. The family holiday rendezvous is a bid to flaunt the colors of our new world and a desperate attempt to avoid slipping into a familiar trance of the old planet. But it rarely works.

The powers of family psychological systems are like kryptonite, disabling our most sophisticated mental strategies. But we still go. We make the pilgrimage. At least, most of us do. Others avoid. The characters played by Vince Vaughn and Reese Witherspoon in the film "Four Christmases" plan a yearly tropical vacation continents away from their families. Other folks drown in work. Still others dip in for a quick drink or meal and then jet off, unscathed by anything more than small talk.

Many who avoid family attempt to play catch-up years later at deathbeds and beside tombstones. But not us. We are the brave ones who climb into the time machine. And we do it for good reason. We do it because most of our families render us powerless to pretend, yet empower us with something else. The safety of a biological connection. We share genes, we share childhoods, we share pheromones, we share humor, we share love. This shared sense of belonging is the reason that we will bust our bank accounts to fly to the wedding of our crazy brother who is marrying a girl on a mountain in Mongolia. It's why we open our homes to cousins. It's why we spend hours cooking for people we haven't talked to face-to-face in a year. Because they are us.

When we are in their company, we are reminded of our familiar beginnings. There is some feeling of security in that. And if there were many old blows and injuries, we can also use this time to make right. To process more. Or simply to grieve the losses. Seeing a formerly abusive father, now old and weakened by alcohol, we can tend to the child in us whose childhood losses were so tragic. And we can look through the eyes of an adult at our tragic perpetrator and maybe even have compassion for his flaws.

We are all flawed people. And we live in an imperfect world. But in the presence of our family, we can have a feeling of belonging. Through the strengths of our family, we are reminded of the good in us. And through their flaws, we are given unique opportunities to mourn and forgive.

next: The Pill: Friend or Foe?
kuchnie poznań February 8, 2011, 9:04 PM

Hi there, I found your website via Google while looking for a related topic, your site came up, it looks good. I’ve bookmarked it in my google bookmarks.

Make Money Online February 9, 2011, 12:31 AM

So whats your thoughts on the other posters comments? Believe hes being a bit crazy?

work from home February 9, 2011, 1:08 AM

I do love the way you have framed this issue plus it does present me personally some fodder for thought. On the other hand, coming from what precisely I have witnessed, I basically wish as the commentary stack on that men and women stay on issue and don’t get started on a tirade associated with some other news du jour. Anyway, thank you for this superb piece and although I do not necessarily go along with this in totality, I regard the perspective.

medical assistant salary February 9, 2011, 4:38 AM

There may be noticeably a bundle to learn about this. I assume you made sure good points in features also.

centra handlowe February 9, 2011, 5:10 AM

situations make use of a diverse website where you advertise added often?

find local computer repair February 9, 2011, 6:54 AM

Many thanks for posting this, It?s just what I was researching for on bing. I?d so much relatively hear opinions from an individual, barely than a company internet page, that?s why I like blogs so significantly. Many thanks!

Home Design Ideas February 9, 2011, 7:16 AM

my God, i thought you were going to chip in with some decisive insght at the end there, not leave it with ‘we leave it to you to decide’.

Lilli Knollman February 9, 2011, 7:36 AM

Toning Your Muscles Doesn’t Work

fast cash advance loan February 9, 2011, 9:17 AM

Took me time to read all the reviews, but I genuinely savored the post. It turned out to be very helpful to me and I am sure to all the commenters here! It’s continually wonderful when you can not only be informed, but also entertained! I’m sure you had fun writing this article.

Dog Sheath February 9, 2011, 9:39 AM

Just discovered this site thru Google, what a way to brighten up my day!

buy nursery art February 9, 2011, 9:57 AM

Glad I found this on google .

naturopathic doctor February 9, 2011, 11:16 AM

Thanks a lot for enjoying this beauty article with me.

Tucson Federal Credit Union February 9, 2011, 7:19 PM

There are certainly a lot of details like that to take into consideration. That is a great point to bring up. I offer the thoughts above as general inspiration but clearly there are questions like the one you bring up where the most important thing will be working in honest good faith. I don?t know if best practices have emerged around things like that, but I am sure that your job is clearly identified as a fair game. Both boys and girls feel the impact of just a moment’s pleasure, for the rest of their lives.

Sid Sramek February 9, 2011, 7:26 PM

hello, I am a exchanging student, I am looking some article similiar to finish my exam and to make the better result of my works. I thought that your article is related to my works,so I decide to copy it without removing the author. manythanks for this useful article. have some good great works than.

Miyoko Frossard February 9, 2011, 8:37 PM

Your website is awesome! Thank you for putting this up on the internet and making things simple for the avarage visitor!

the master key system February 9, 2011, 9:05 PM

When I originally commented I clicked the -Notify me when new comments are added- checkbox and now each time a comment is added I get four emails with the same comment. Is there any way you can remove me from that service? Thanks!

hustler rapture February 9, 2011, 11:42 PM

Every time I read a great article I usually do some things:1.Share it with my relevant friends.2.keep it in some of the best sharing sites.3.Make sure to return to the site where I came accross the post.After reading this article I am seriously concidering doing all 3!

Oto aksesuar February 10, 2011, 1:24 AM

Yess. Very nice topic.

Bacterial vaginosis natural remedies February 10, 2011, 2:08 AM

Hrmm that was weird, my comment got eaten. Anyway I wanted to say that it’s nice to know that someone else also mentioned this as I had trouble finding the same info elsewhere. This was the first place that told me the answer. Thanks.

Cattaneo February 10, 2011, 4:04 AM

It’s arduous to search out knowledgeable folks on this topic, however you sound like you know what you’re speaking about! Thanks