What every kid needs to know about the Festival of Lights.
When explaining the history of Hanukkah to kids, the conversation can get a bit ... er, violent. There's a lot of attacking, killing and swordfighting. After all, the holiday commemorates the rededication of the Holy Temple in Jerusalem after the Jews' 165 B.C.E. victory over
the Hellenist Syrians. And boy, was that battle a bloody one! That backstory is important and necessary, but of course, the story of Hanukkah isn't all doom and gloom. Here are five happier aspects to touch upon when schooling kids on Hanukkah.
1) It's a miracle. The Maccabees only had enough oil to light the menorah for one day, but the oil lasted for eight.
2) Gelt: Gold coins with chocolate inside. Yummmm ....
3) Three words: Spin the dreidel!
4) Hanukkah food is so delish. All-you-can-eat latkes!
5) The holiday lasts eight nights, which in most households means eight nights of presents. Score!