When Socks Are the Pits

When I gave my daughter socks for the third night of Hanukkah, she burst into tears.

When Socks Are the Pits

Momlogic's JulieHanukkah gives us EIGHT nights of presents, so they can't all be extravagant. Last year, I had picked up a cute pair of Juicy Couture socks for my 6-year-old daughter and wrapped them for her third-night present.

When she saw them, she burst into tears! I guess socks are not her idea of a good gift.

I felt kind of bad that I had given her socks as a gift, but then figured it might teach her a good lesson. We talked about the kids who have no socks or warm clothes, and how she should be grateful for ANY gift she receives, no matter how small.

But still ... I definitely wasn't giving any socks this year.

Moms, have you ever had a Hanukkah or Christmas FAIL in the gift-giving department? Tell us about it.

next: EP1.2 Kinect Family Video Diaries: Kinectimals
Robin December 18, 2010, 10:19 AM

Sooo…. no original posts this holiday season?

???? December 18, 2010, 10:35 AM

Sounds like a spoiled brat to me. She’ll get over it.

Fran December 18, 2010, 2:35 PM

LOL, Robin…I’m wondering the same thing!

My kids have never been disappointed on Christmas. Wait, let me rephrase. My kids have never acted disappointed. We’re not very well off right now, so our gifts never cost much, but I can still manage to find things my kids like from thrift stores or hand-me-downs so the risk for disappointment is low. However, my kids get more than one present on one day, instead of one at a time, like your daughter. If I gave my 7 yr old a pair of socks, I know he wouldn’t be jumping for joy (unless they had cars or Pokemon printed on them….that changes EVERYthing) but he wouldn’t pout, either, because he knows another (better) gift is right around the corner. I suppose if ALL he got were socks (with nothing “cool” printed on them) he might act disappointed? I don’t know about bursting into tears, though. Even my kids have more tact than that. When my oldest was 2, one of his Christmas presents was underwear. He said, patronizingly, “Oh. that’s very nice, Mommy,” and then moved on to more exciting things.

test December 18, 2010, 10:14 PM

Nice

Anonymous December 19, 2010, 11:44 AM

I can see your daughter’s point. I mean, socks. I got them for my husband once, but they said ‘Little Devil’ and had a picture of a devil on each of them. I got him other stuff too. If you’re going to go the clothes route without wanting big things like jumpers and trousers, try a hat or a scarf. They’re more likely to have cutesy things on them and be more appreciated because, like you said, the weather is cold.

Anonymous December 22, 2010, 5:39 AM

Re-run from last year and HELLO - Hanukkah was over 2 weeks ago!!