Worms in My Stocking?

Looking for the gift that keeps on giving? Something earth-friendly? Got a hippie/granola person or garden enthusiast on your list?

christmas stocking full of worms

Diane Mizota: Here's the solution: a worm composter.

Worms? Ick. Wait: Hear me out. I'm not some super-green hippie kind of mom, but I do like to be as eco-friendly as possible without living like "Little House on the Prairie." I received my worm farm for Mother's Day. An unorthodox gift? Perhaps. But I'd take these red wiggler worms over a box of candy and overpriced flowers any day.

Not only do they eat your garbage and divert some of it from your local landfills, but they turn your trash into nutrient-dense, deep, dark compost that enriches your soil and makes your garden or houseplants flourish. It's a simple, low-maintenance thing you can do to live a little greener. You can grow your own flowers with the black gold these worms produce.

Here's how it works: The worms eat fruit and vegetable scraps (which all moms of toddlers have plenty of), breads, grains, cardboard, newspaper, napkins, teabags, coffee filters, eggshells and more. You just can't feed them meats, anything too acidic, or anything oily. They live in a plastic, contained two-bin system that my husband purchased from our county waste department for about $60. (You can also make your own if you wish.) The waste that they create, called worm castings, is free homemade organic fertilizer. It takes a few months for the worms to get going, but once established, they can eat up to 1 ½ lbs. of food a day!

The other benefit for moms? They make excellent pets for my 2-year-old son. They don't smell, they don't make noise and they just occupy a small space outside our back door. We don't have to feed them every day or worry about them when we go on vacation; we just take our food scraps out there every couple of days, bury them under some compost and newspaper and wait for the worms to work their magic.

I've started a small, organic vegetable garden to feed my worm castings to and supplement my grocery shopping. It's fun to check on their progress together; my son likes to pretend to be scared by their wiggling, yet squeals with delight every time he holds one. He learns about the earth, about decomposition and about being kind to our planet. And as a mom, that's a gift that's pretty hard to beat.

next: Beating Holiday Depression in the Elderly
Oda Gishal December 30, 2010, 5:32 PM

Hey there I’m experiencing a trouble visiting your site, I am receiving 501 pages fairly regularly, I am not much too certain about why however when I refresh the web page it returns right.

Hello Kitty Room Creating Game December 30, 2010, 5:53 PM

Am i allowed to make a word of advice? I think youve got sth great here. Yet let’s suppose you also included a couple references to a page that supports what you were you mentioned? Or even you may give us some extra information to check out, something might associate what you were saying, sth concrete?

Enfant forum March 5, 2011, 5:10 PM

A formidable share, I just given this onto a colleague who was doing slightly evaluation on this. And he in reality bought me breakfast as a result of I discovered it for him.. smile. So let me reword that: Thnx for the deal with! But yeah Thnkx for spending the time to discuss this, I really feel strongly about it and love reading extra on this topic. If attainable, as you turn out to be expertise, would you mind updating your weblog with more details? It’s highly helpful for me. Huge thumb up for this weblog post!

Shawanna Trest March 16, 2011, 12:27 PM

vast post you admit

Patricia March 18, 2011, 2:39 AM

What’s worse than a worm in your apple?

Answer: Half a worm

Coast Flashlight

Matilda March 20, 2011, 7:07 PM

I actually gave a gift of worms a few years ago. I gave the bag of worms first and my friend, who is a garden enthusiast, looked at me like I was on drugs. Then I gave her a whole tray of tomato and pepper seedlings and we laughed over it.

Matilda
Author of: Fastest Way to Lose Belly Fat

Femme Nike Air Max 93 March 24, 2011, 3:28 PM

I’m very satisfied to I create this post. Thanks you with a view sharing us trim info.

Chris Kunitz Jersey March 31, 2011, 4:35 AM

I wish more people would take down sites like this that are in truth helpful to read. With all the fuzz ball poppet floating almost on the spider’s web, it is rare to read a place like yours instead.

Homme Nike Air Max 90 April 2, 2011, 11:25 AM

Thank you for another extraordinary article. Where else could anybody suffer from that kind of bumf in such a momentous path of writing.

Wholesale Gucci Wallets April 3, 2011, 10:15 AM

Advantageously, the post is in authenticity the sweetest on this merited topic.

Ovarian Cancer Awareness Bracelet April 3, 2011, 12:23 PM

Took me moment to study every of the commentary, except I in actuality loved the commentary. It proved being in fact helpful to me and I am positive to all the commenters here! It’s usually pleasant when you can not just be informed, but in adding entertained! I am helpful you had pleasurable writing this write-up.

Air Conner Shoes April 8, 2011, 6:17 AM

I’m young on here, I zap upon this website I repossess It pretty helpful and its helped me revealed a lot. I will be expert to contribute & subsidize other users like it has helped me.