The strangulation death of two infants has led to a recall of nearly two million Summer Infant video baby monitors, according to Associated Press.
The Consumer Product Safety Commission is warning parents of the dangers of putting electrical cords of baby monitors too close to a baby's crib.
"I urge all parents and caregivers to put at least 3 feet between any video or audio baby monitor cords and a child in a crib," said Commission Chairman Inez Tenenbaum. "This simple step can save your child's life."
A 10-month-old girl from Washington, D.C. died in March, and a 6-month-old boy from Conway, S.C. died in November -- both caused by strangling on the cord of a Summer Infant monitor placed too close to their cribs.
In addition to the baby monitor recall, Summer Infant is also recalling the rechargeable batteries in another 58,000 video monitors sold exclusively at Babies R Us in 2009 and 2010. The batteries sold with certain Slim and Secure Video Monitors can overheat, rupture and possibly burn people, says the commission.
For more information on model numbers of recalled monitors, consumers can go to Summer Infant's website or call the company at 800-426-8627.