Teacher Suspended for Soliciting Massages from Students

A teacher at Cooper City Elementary School in Broward Country, Florida has been suspended after being accused of requesting that students give her massages in exchange for rewards.

woman getting a massage

According to the complaint, Cheyl Grampa, a teacher since 1998, "engaged in inappropriate conduct and contact with a minor student ranging from soliciting and allowing students to massage her, in exchange for rewards, allowing students to touch her in an inappropriate manner and failing to take reasonable and corrective action with respect to improper touching," according to the official complaint.

School Superintendent Jim Notter requested a five-day suspension for the incident -- which occurred during the 2009-10 school year, according to the Sun Sentinel. Notter also wants Grampa to undergo classroom management training and says the suspension will serve as a "last chance," allowing the district to fire her for any future violation.

Momlogic wants to know -- is there any reason why this should be okay? Is a five-day suspension enough? What would you do if your child came home and told you he or she gave teacher a massage?!

next: Happy 25th Birthday to Pixar!
mjfrombuffalo February 3, 2011, 2:32 PM

is there any reason why this should be okay? NO

Is a five-day suspension enough? NO

What would you do if your child came home and told you he or she gave teacher a massage?! be very amazed, as I don’t have kids. (and it’s questions like this that make me glad I don’t!)

Kim February 3, 2011, 3:00 PM

I would not want any of my children to ever be in her room. A hug to a child is one thing, but massages are another.

Anonymous February 4, 2011, 5:36 AM

It’s because of the teachers union that teacher like this are able to keep their job after doing things like this. Check out the list of teachers in who are in the “rubber room” for years collecting paychecks b/c the union protects them from being fired.

Concerned Teacher February 13, 2011, 2:10 PM

This is a little beyond classroom management. I really don’t even see how massaging her is productive. Even more why would you want your students even touching you in that manor. Just a little disturbing to me.

TIM February 17, 2011, 5:01 AM

Kids today have all the luck ! I was born to early!

Teacher March 21, 2011, 6:13 AM

I think this is one of those cases where things were taken out of context. As a teacher, I’ve had students walk up to me while I’m on my computer in my office and massage my shoulders a little. They treat me like a mother figure— that’s something I know I do to my mother. Not a full-fledged clothes-off sort of massage like the picture makes you think. Now I would never ask a student for a massage, but I could see one saying, “Can I get extra credit if I massage your shoulders?” I’m not one who does that, but you never really know the circumstances— I’m willing to bet it’s totally out of context.