Kate Walsh: 'I Feel Like a Loser' Not Having Kids

"Private Practice" and "Grey's Anatomy" star Kate Walsh tells "More" magazine that she feels insufficient for not having kids.

kate walsh more magazine

This month, Walsh, who is 43, is on the cover of the April issue of "More" magazine and admits in a candid interview, "I feel like a loser. I would definitely love to be a parent."

The TV doc adds, "I definitely don't think I want to do it on my own. Things are just going to go the way they go ... I thought I'd be married and have three or four kids. I always knew I wanted to be an actress, but I think I always wanted a "normal life" because I had a very untraditional upbringing."

Last year, in a very public divorce, Kate ended a 14-month marriage with film executive Alex Young.

Check out the full interview in this month's "More" magazine -- on newsstands now.

Momlogic wants to know -- Do you blame Kate for not wanting to have a go at single parenting? Would you have regretted not having kids?

next: At Last! The Ice Cream Sandwich That Won't Melt!
Renee March 22, 2011, 10:07 AM

I wouldn’t ever hold it against someone for not wanting to have a go at single parenting if given the choice. I was a single parent for two years after my son’s father left. I wouldn’t trade my son for anything, but I wouldn’t have deliberately chosen to have kids in that situation.

It’s hard with two parents, I don’t blame her for waiting until she has a more traditional situation to bring her kids into.

brooke March 22, 2011, 10:52 AM

I don’t think you are a loser that you have not had kids yet, or that are not married. You are gorgeous, you have your own TV show, have a successful career, finachially stable.
I am 39 and have been struggling to make something in my life, career wise, and I haven’t yet. I am not married and don’t have kids, which I want both! but I think because I made the choice to be indepedent and try to make something of my life….this is why it hasn’t happened yet. It is all about timing. Don’t give up Kate. But please have the perspective of ALL the things you DO have. I am struggling to stay positve with not having ANY of these things. I am a huge fan of your and your show. You rock lady!

WhoCares? March 22, 2011, 2:20 PM

That’s because she is!

Maureen March 23, 2011, 5:01 AM

It’s good to adopt kids too.
Coleman Flashlight

Anonymous March 24, 2011, 8:31 AM

This seems to be an odd attempt to polarise us into two camps - two parent families and one parent families. Life isn’t as simple as that, however. No child this lady raises would be raised by her alone. There would be an army of nannies, tutors, and teachers; just the presence of a nanny would turn it into more than a single-parent family.

As for deliberately becoming a single mom, I think it’s a path that few take, and of those who do there’s not one who would deny that it’s hard. A mother in the UK recently gave birth to twins. She’s in her late fifties and had to turn to IVF to make it possible. Having made her decision I don’t think it’s one that she regrets, but she is having to come to terms with how difficult her life is going to be from now on, even with the possibility of a nanny when she goes back to work. I would say that without a father present, it is essential to make sure somebody else is there for the days when it all becomes too much. Even if it’s just for an hour or two, a grandmother, a friend, or a neighbor can all be invaluable.

Natalie Vancil April 2, 2011, 9:03 PM

This is the first time I have visited here websites. I found a lot of great information in here. From the tons of comments on your articles, I guess I’m not alone here! work.