Parents Go Nuts over First Grader with Peanut Allergy

Parents of students who attend first grade with a girl who has a life-threatening peanut allergy want her removed and home-schooled, instead of following the special rules to protect her health.

Peanuts

"That was one of the suggestions that kept coming forward from parents, to have her home-schooled. But we're required by federal law to provide accommodations. That's just not even an option for us," said Nancy Wait, spokeswoman for the Volusia County School District.

"To protect the girl, students in her class at Edgewater Elementary School are required to wash their hands before entering the classroom in the morning and after lunch, and rinse out their mouths, Wait said, and a peanut-sniffing dog checked out the school during last week's spring break," according to Reuters.

"If I had a daughter who had a problem, I would not ask everyone else to change their lives to fit my life," said Chris Burr, a father of two students at the school.

School leaders are meeting this week to address all the parents concerns.

Momlgoic wants to know -- how would you feel if your child were part of this little girl's class? Also, how would you feel if your child were asked to leave due to a health issue?

next: Win Disney's 'Tangled' on Blu-Ray & DVD!
Libby March 25, 2011, 1:37 PM

My son has similar food allergies as Tracey Bailey’s daughter, as well as a similar health plan. I am appalled and outraged that these parents would target and bully a six year old little girl by picketing her school, rather than bringing up their concerns to the school administration and the family appropriately.

The protesters have been spreading a great deal of misinformation about the accommodations to other parents and the media, as well as teaching their own children how to be bullies, instead of compassionate human beings.

They were out with the picket signs again yesterday (I don’t know if they were there again today) and the Bailey family no longer feels it is safe to send their daughter to the school due to the threats that have been made.

How do these people fail to feel any shame at their treatment of an innocent child?

WhoCares? March 26, 2011, 9:58 AM

I’m glad my DD is not in school anymore. I’m glad I don’t have to deal with all this butt kissing and bending over backwards just to accommodate one kid!

Matt Stilwell March 26, 2011, 8:21 PM

It is completely stupid to make the students do anything different. How dare anyone think that an entire group of people should change the way that they do things just to accommodate one single person ? That’s ridiculous. I would not expect to have an entire group of people change their lives just to suit me. If I was deathly allergic to something and there was a place that was full of that particular thing or the people that were there were eating it or had it with them, I just wouldn’t go to that place. It’s easy. These parents are completely stuck up and self absorbed to think that their kid is the be all end all of everything. A group of people should not change their lives to suit just a single person. To paraphrase Star Trek, the many outweight the few. Which means, you don’t change an entire group to suit the needs of a single person. It just doesn’t make sense.

WhoCares? March 27, 2011, 2:22 PM

What’s with all these parents today having kids with all these allergies? Did they take alot of drugs?

Ming Sherrard March 29, 2011, 3:30 PM

I’m still learning from you, while I’m improving myself. I certainly liked reading everything that is posted on your website.Keep the information coming. I liked it

Amy March 30, 2011, 7:39 AM

The reality is, homeschooling is NOT an option for many families. This child should be accomidated, not just because it’s the law but because it’s the decent thing to do. It’s always difficult to make adjustments, but part of attending a public school is accomidating those with different needs, whether they’re academic, social, or health related.

As for saying these parents should keep their daughter home for her own safety, if these parents are anything like my friend, they’ve taught their daughter to be diligent about what she is exposed to so she bares most of the responsibility for her own safety. These measures are precautionary, to try to make things as safe as possible. Unfortunately, their daughter will always be at some risk throughout her life, you can’t protect her from that by keeping her at home forever.

Gail Cooke May 5, 2011, 1:59 PM

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few…if your kid is allergic, it’s your responibility to find a fix, not inconvenience everyone for yours.