'Please Remove My Baby from the Overhead Compartment!'

A Virgin Blue flight attendant has been fired over allegations that he placed a passenger's infant in the overhead bin during a flight from Fiji to Sydney, according to the Sunday Herald.

Airplane Cabin

The 17-month-old baby, Riley, was playing a game of peek-a-boo with his father when the flight attendant decided to join in, putting the baby in an overhead bin, says Natalie Williamson, the child's mother.

"I stood up and there were people laughing and then I said 'Get my son out of there now.' I was devastated. I was absolutely devastated," says Williamson.

Along with firing the attendant, Virgin Blue offered the mom three free flights.

Williamson says Riley now sees specialists because he is suffering from anxiety and withdrawal. "He won't leave my sight now. He sleeps with me. If I'm not in the same room as him, he will scream and yell 'Mum, mum, mum.'"

Momlogic wonders what in the world this flight attendant was thinking! Ridiculous!

next: Celebrate International Women's Day
Gaibibeemback March 8, 2011, 10:12 PM
Anonymous March 9, 2011, 2:56 AM

Oh please, the child was playing a game and someone else got involved, that’s all there is to this. Fire the mother, that’s what I say.

andrea  March 9, 2011, 6:25 AM

fire the stupid mother what a fake she is trying to get paid and she did

Mylissa March 9, 2011, 8:40 AM

yeah that is bull some people will do anything to make a buck!

Anonymous March 9, 2011, 4:49 PM

Ridiculous. They were playing a game. The mother needs to lighten up. Typical of people today…do anything to get attention.

drenee March 9, 2011, 7:03 PM

The flight attendant made a bad judgment call, but she shouldn’t have been fired. The mother is the one who is at fault here. Who the hell lets a total stranger that close to their baby, flight attendant or not. I would have been like “why are you grabbing my baby?”. Also, I agree with the rest of you mom is just trying to make a buck. To say that this kid was traumatized is BS my kids would have thought it was the best plane ride ever!

Carol March 9, 2011, 7:51 PM

How does a 17 month who has limited cognitive skills, heck limited vocubaly benefit from theraphy?
I don’t think he can grasp the concepts.
I bet he mother’s hysterical response was the cause of the “tramua”.

susan March 9, 2011, 7:52 PM

this article doesn’t say the whole entire story here anyway. It didn’t say who put the toddler in the compartment( unless if the flight attendit did)or how this whole thing started so we shouldn’t just blame the mother here.

Me March 10, 2011, 6:19 PM

oh good grief! No way is that child suffering like they state… if the child was in there for a bit then I wouldn’t be surprised but it sounds as if it was only seconds while they played…

water damage March 18, 2011, 12:20 AM

I have added you to my RSS feeder to stay up to date.

Jordan March 21, 2011, 10:00 AM

The kid is 17 months old. He might have withdrawal issues, but it’s NOT from this incident. It’s totally normal for kids at that age to always want to be with their parents. Mom was just looking for an easy way to make a fast buck. Gosh I hate stupid people.

Drug Defense Hartford March 22, 2011, 9:28 AM

Now you’ve your new site and you’re eager to start making some gross sales! But, how will you make gross sales when you don’t have high volumes of visitors to your website?

Kaylin May 21, 2011, 3:55 AM

Wow, that’s a really celver way of thinking about it!