twitter facebook stumble upon rss

Tot Served Margarita at Applebee's, Parents Sue

sign up for the momlogic newsletter Tweet This

The parents of an Oak Park, Michigan toddler who was accidentally served a margarita in a sippy cup instead of apple juice, have sued Applebee's, according to Detroit News.

chicken soup

"The reason this has drawn so much attention is because not only is it so bizarre, but it came close to being something very, very serious, and a lot of people wonder if it could have happened to their child," said William Stern, the attorney who filed the suit on behalf of parents Taylor Dill-Reese and Dominic Wilson and their 15-month-old son, Dominic Wilson, Jr.

Stern said that Dominic experienced nausea, and after his father took a test sip from the cup and realized it wasn't juice, the 15-month-old was examined by emergency medical technicians. Mike Archer, President of Lenexa, Kan.-based Applebee's Neighborhood Grill & Bar, acknowledged the severity of the mistake in a statement:

"We want to express how thankful we are that the child involved in the incident at our restaurant ... was not seriously injured as a result of accidentally receiving the wrong beverage," he said. "We also want to apologize to his parents, for the stress and worry this caused them. Although our efforts to speak with the child's parents have been unsuccessful, we extend our personal apologies."

"There have been at least three other incidents involving children receiving alcoholic drinks by mistake instead of juice since 2006," according to Detroit News.

To keep you child safe, be sure to take a sip of beverages served to your tots in restaurants.


next: Study: Girls Reaching Puberty as Early as 7
10 comments so far | Post a comment now
Melody April 13, 2011, 10:17 AM

The safest mom would bring a child’s own (pre-filled) sippy cup from home.

anon April 13, 2011, 11:23 AM

Get real Melody - why even bother going out to eat then? What if there had been glass in the food on accident (it happens!) would you say she shouldn’t have let her kid eat at a restaurant? What about if she ate lettuce, at home, that was infected with ecoli? Would you say she should have grown her own lettuce for her child’s safety?

Paige April 13, 2011, 12:14 PM

For Pete’s sake, Anon. Really? Is it so difficult to bring your kid a sippy cup with juice already in it? I used to be a bartender at an Applebees. Do you actually think they keep apple juice back there so they can fill up a sippy cup because the parents were too lazy to do it themselves? We did establish that it was a bar. By definition, a bar (in this case) is where one goes to get alcoholic beverages. Therefore, the things behind the bar tend to go along with that idea, ie- drink MIXERS. Not your run of the mill Juicy Juice, although I wouldn’t think parents who can’t bring their own prefilled sippy cup care that it isn’t healthy/real juice. How about you hop off your high horse and stop jumping to conclusions? Or, I guess next time you go out to eat maybe you could ask if they have your brand of formula they could whip up or maybe some milk because you couldn’t be bothered to make your baby a bottle. (because the milk will TOTALLY be in date.)
But on to the story at hand, having been a bartender, wouldn’t you think a little warning light would go off when they poured the margarita INTO the sippy cup? At Applebees you either get them out of a machine or mix it by hand. There are no margaritas sitting back there with alcohol already in them just waiting to be served. (unless it’s a frozen margarita, which comes out a machine.) Either the kid got margarita mixer (which has NO alcohol in it, it’s strictly the “margarita taste” minus the tequila.) or there’s a bartender who isn’t responsible enough to tend bar.

WhoCares? April 13, 2011, 4:09 PM

Isn’t this story from last year?

Rob G April 13, 2011, 9:48 PM

Paige, I’ve bartended at quite a few restaurants as well and I have to say that something here doesn’t seem right. I’ve spent a while thinking about exactly how this could have happened. As you pointed out margarita mix doesn’t sit around with tequilla in it. So even if someone mistook margarita mix for apple juice (you’d have to be really dumb) it wouldn’t have alcohol in it. Serving an actual acoholic margarita to a kid, in a kid’s cup, would have had to fairly deliberate because someone would have to make one, then put it in a kid’s cup. I have a hard time seeing how that many mistakes happen “accidentally.” Although I won’t say it’s impossible. My only other guess on what happened is maybe it was the parents. Was one of them drinking a margarita? Were they maybe looking to create a lawsuit? I know that asking this will probably offend lots of people but let’s face it, there are some really twisted people out there that really would be willing to risk hurting their kids to make a buck. Not saying that’s what did happen, I’m just considering another possibility.

Anonymous April 14, 2011, 10:34 AM

I think a member of staff just thought it would be a harmless prank. The lesson is probably well and truly learned by now and hey, at least the parents got some hard cash out of the incident.

WhoCares? April 15, 2011, 9:17 AM

Applebee’s food sucks! I’d rather eat at Chili’s

Lindy April 16, 2011, 4:33 PM

Yesterday I read a story on AOL the same thing happened at an Olive Garden.

Jase May 21, 2011, 6:17 AM

I’m ipmerssed! You’ve managed the almost impossible.

Jailen May 22, 2011, 10:40 AM

Soduns great to me BWTHDIK


Back to top >>
advertisement