Is a Breastfeeding Baby Doll Appropriate?

Yesterday on "Today," Kathie Lee tried the controversial breastfeeding baby doll, "Breast Milk Baby."

As the doll made sucking noises on Kathie Lee's chest, Hoda said, "Something's just so weird about what's happening right now."

Kathie Lee said on the show, "It's play. I don't see the damage in it." Do you agree?

Momlogic wants to know: Do you think a doll that teaches 7-year-old girls about breastfeeding is appropriate?

next: Incredible! A Kid Bluegrass Band
MommyLisa May 11, 2011, 12:49 PM

While it may be “play” its just not necessary.

mary May 11, 2011, 2:18 PM

I would not want my baby girl to have this doll. I’m already not comfortable seeing her pretending to be pregnant when she’s playing,much worse with a sucking baby on her.

Anonymous May 11, 2011, 2:52 PM

GROSS!!

Accidental Mom May 11, 2011, 3:10 PM

It is just as appropriate as a bottle feeding baby.

Carol Shwanda May 11, 2011, 3:46 PM

My two girls would have loved this!! I nursed both of them so they are very aware that is is something moms do. I laughed so hard when my oldest daughter mimicked me nursing her younger sister while talking on the phone. Adorable.
www.shwanda.com

Elle May 11, 2011, 8:26 PM

At first it seems strange, but the more I think about it. I want my child to know that breastfeeding is normal and natural. If you think it is OK for little girls to play with dolls I do not see a problem; especially if you want her to pattern nurturing behavior. Overall, I think that is may be OK, within reason.

Nena May 11, 2011, 10:01 PM

I think there is absolutely nothing wrong with this. Many little girls mimic nursing with other dolls already. Kudos to this company for helping to make breastfeeding “normal” it is sad when a completely natural process for feeding our children the BEST option available is looked at as “GROSS!” according to a previous comment.

Carolyn May 12, 2011, 7:56 AM

Absolutely nothing wrong with the doll. It’s good for children to mimic the natural, best way to feed a baby. The doll is unnecessary though - like many breastfeeding moms, I have fond memories of my children feeding their “babies” - whether that was a baby doll, or in my boys’ cases, a stuffed Elmo or even a truck….

Carolyn May 12, 2011, 7:58 AM

I feel sorry for those mothers who think a breastfeeding doll is “gross” or are uncomfortable with a young girl mimicing pregnancy or breastfeeding. They’re natural parts of life, and the more nuturing behavior children see and imitate, the better.

Gail Cooke May 12, 2011, 8:18 AM

That’s just creepy.

tami May 12, 2011, 8:20 AM

no its not acceptable neither is the realty show 16&pregnet,or skins or half of the music videos we see on tv. Its not acceptable that lawmakers want to take in effect that condoms should be pass out in elementry schools or that the world is rough enough for a gurl to be a child now society wants to rush this. Last i knew a grown woman couldnt breastfeed her child in public without anyone gettin upset wow

tami May 12, 2011, 8:27 AM

as i read more of the commets above i still cringe Mimicking seems to be the word for now but when that 7 8 9 year old turns into 10 11 12 year old that word of the day will be Roleplaying with who ???? or better yet who fault

melena May 12, 2011, 10:25 AM

I think this is a great idea, in other countries where breastfeeding is seen as natural option and children see women doing this, it is just a natural role playing behaviour and kids place a baby to there chest. In the western world breast feeding in young mothers an all time low and yet we know the benefits it offer mother and child. Recently in a documentary they questioned young mothers why breast feeding wasn’t an option for them, and most said they just didn’t see it as natural, some had never seen anyone breastfeeding and others said there were just no positive role models saying this is normal and good. So a doll that sort of promotes this gets my vote

Sue Petracek May 12, 2011, 1:24 PM

Perhaps the weirdest thing here is that the issue is breastfeeding, not the idea of a doll needing batteries to make sucking sounds. Breastfeeding is normal. Playacting is a normal part of childhood. Dolls that need batteries: that’s weird.

lisa roth May 13, 2011, 12:03 AM

My daughter is confused as to why her baby dolls drink bottles when nearly all the babies she’s known, including herself, have been breastfed. I’m sure breast feeding baby dolls will make the same number of people uncomfortable as breast feeding moms do. But come on, people, we all know that (when possible) “breast is best”, so the sooner we make it socially normal, the better.

Anonymous May 13, 2011, 7:59 AM

Freaky

PeterBrady May 13, 2011, 8:56 AM

REAL creepy

leslie strauss May 13, 2011, 9:09 AM

leslie strauss May 13, 2011, 9:13 AM

The doll is terrible ,what next breast pump toy ? no way the bra thing, the sound no no no! go outside and play!

Anonymous May 13, 2011, 12:10 PM

I agree that breastfeeding is natural but so are peeing and pooping and no normal person drops their pants in public and does either. Breastfeeing should not be done in public! And I am a woman who is breastfeeing my baby. This doll is creepy. Kids don’t need to be taught about how it works. You figure these things out when the time comes for you to know. This is just disturbing.