Is a Breastfeeding Baby Doll Appropriate?

Yesterday on "Today," Kathie Lee tried the controversial breastfeeding baby doll, "Breast Milk Baby."

As the doll made sucking noises on Kathie Lee's chest, Hoda said, "Something's just so weird about what's happening right now."

Kathie Lee said on the show, "It's play. I don't see the damage in it." Do you agree?

Momlogic wants to know: Do you think a doll that teaches 7-year-old girls about breastfeeding is appropriate?

next: Incredible! A Kid Bluegrass Band
Anonymous May 13, 2011, 12:41 PM

I breastfed my children but this is disgusting. Little girls do not have developed breasts so to me, this is just another way we over-sexualize our little girls.

Rachel May 13, 2011, 8:21 PM

Breastfeeding is not sexual, so this doll is not “sexualizing our little girls.”

And to the commenter who said the girls will figure out when it’s time — I hope you don’t take that stance with them and sex or else they might be needing to learn how to breastfeed for real earlier than you like. Breastfeeding, like sex and pooping, is a natural act that should be discussed with children. When we leave children to figure things out on their own, they will, but the information they find is usually false or opposite the values we’re trying to instill in them.

Anya May 15, 2011, 11:13 PM

I’m surprised there’s a controversy. My kids just tossed the bottles that came with their dolls and “nursed” them anyway. The only difference is that this doll needs batteries.

Anonymous May 17, 2011, 12:36 PM

I breastfed and my girls NEVER “nursed” their dolls. That’s just weird in my opinion.

The doll absolutely sexualizes little girls for while breastfeeding itself is not sexual, breasts ARE a sexual organ and small girls don’t have them yet.

Chyna May 21, 2011, 12:42 AM

At last, soemnoe comes up with the “right” answer!

Kacy May 22, 2011, 7:56 AM

Thank God! Someone with biarns speaks!

vee gonzalez May 23, 2011, 7:04 AM

I think its a very good idea..i have seven children and with girls getting pregnant before they are even in their teens nowadays..I think the more education the better..If your children are aware of things around them and why they are being done,(such as breastfeeding),they are better equipted to make good decisions in what they do or say when the parents are not around..