Extreme Prom Spending: How Much Is Too Much?

The peer pressure keeps mounting for high school girls to be prom-perfect, and the dollars moms are spending for it continues to skyrocket -- when does it become excessive?

This morning, "Good Morning America" addressed soaring costs and the outrageous amount of money some moms are coughing up to create a perfect night for their daughters.

Citing pressure to be like the Kardashians, girls want to have the best dress, fanciest shoes, and even the nicest fake tan. "GMA" spoke with moms spending as much as $3,000 for the single-night ritual!

Dress retailer Kimberly Gamcale of Diane and Company noted that "the average couple will spend $800 for prom night, and in $4-billion industry. But the price tag on that eye-catching dress? About $6,000."

Check out the full story...

Momlogic wants to know: How much should you spend for prom night?

next: Couple Names Baby 'Like'
Shanon April 21, 2011, 5:05 PM

There is no way I would ever spend that much for Prom. There is nothing wrong with wanting to look nice, but that kind of cash is just crazy. My wedding dress was only $600.

Rachel April 21, 2011, 6:38 PM

I went to prom 9 years ago. I bought my dress from Dillards for $40 — after Derby dress sale (I live in Louisville) — my shoes for about $30 from Payless, and my jewelry from Claire’s for about $30. My sister did my hair. My boyfriend drove his mom’s car. We ate at a moderately priced restaurant. I spent about $120, and my boyfriend spent about the same (tux rental and dinner).

Today’s kids are “entitled” to too much. It’s about time parents stopped being friends and started being parents and said, “Enough’s enough!”

WhoCares? April 22, 2011, 7:37 AM

Just Say NO!

Courtney April 23, 2011, 7:18 AM

I went to my prom 7 years ago and the night cost about $1,200 everything included. 6k for a prom dress is nuts that’s probably about what my mothers wedding dress coast 27 years ago. if your a star it’s one thing it’s another if your a working stiff like most people are

Anonymous April 23, 2011, 8:34 AM

Momlogic is being silly. Its paying people to write articles that cite extreme examples in order to create outrage. Worse, it wants us to believe that we have the right to tell others how to spend their money. Utter nonsense of course, but they’ll keep on trying it. Remember the one about the car?

Anonymous May 23, 2011, 10:23 PM

Yup. I remember that not many people were bothered about that, either. It’s up to these people and their families how much money is spent. Those who feel obliged to spend what they don’t have can only blame themselves when they get into debt.

Anonymous May 24, 2011, 3:01 PM

SAY NO!!!!

JustMe May 25, 2011, 9:33 AM

That’s why everyome n America has cc debt!

princess  May 31, 2011, 12:11 PM

i would pay alot for my a daughters prom but not over fifteen-hundred dollars beacause its just out of my pocket i get almost 200,000 a month

Tory Burch Outlet June 7, 2011, 12:35 AM