Here's a recap of the other 16 children who died in June and July alone:
- July 27 - 14-month-old Markus Anthony Lewis of Texas was left
in the car for an hour after coming home from a local water park. His
mother thought the father had taken him out of the car with their other
two children, and his father thought the mother had.
- July 24
- 4-month-old Seiaires McHenry of Wisconsin was found dead in an SUV
outside a daycare center, apparently left unattended by an employee of
the center who picked him up that morning. He was left in the car for
over seven hours.
- July 21 - 19-month-old Kamilla Brown of Texas was left in her daycare van for six hours before she was discovered. State licensing officials later shut down that daycare center.
- July 21
- 23-month-old Jack Winchester of California was left in his car after
his mother took him and his two siblings grocery shopping. She thought
the other two children were watching him while she unpacked groceries.
He was left in the car for several hours.
- July 19 -
4-year-old Gregory Cesar of Florida was left in the car on his mother's
wedding day while she got her hair and nails done. She thought a friend
had taken him, but he had snuck back in the car. He was left there for
more than two hours.
- July 13 - 18-month-old Alyssa
Stouffer of Michigan was left strapped in her car seat in the driveway
of her home in near 90-degree temperatures. The father accidentally
left the baby in the truck after running an errand. The baby wasn't
discovered until mother Laura Stouffer, 26, returned home from work
late in the afternoon and couldn't find her child.
- July 13
- 2-year-old Angel Castillo of Texas was accidentally left in a hot car
by his uncle who was taking him and other young relatives to swim at
his apartment complex's pool. The uncle told the children to get out
through the passenger side
and to hold hands as they walked to the apartment, but Angel remained
in the car, unnoticed, for over an hour.
- July 8
- 2-year-old Chase Harrison of Virginia, who had been adopted from
Russia just two months prior, was left in a car in front of his
father's workplace after the dad forgot to drop him off at daycare
before work. He was trapped in the car for nine hours.
- July 8
- 3-month-old Faith Nichols of Tennessee was left in a hot car in a
parking lot while her mother drank and hung out at two bars. The
newborn was left in the car for six hours.
- July 3 -
2-year-old Andrew Culpepper of Virginia was picked up from a relative's
house by his father, but his dad forgot to bring him inside the house
when they got home. It is unknown how many hours he was locked inside
- June 27 - 2-year-old Amariya Danikels and her
sister Kassandra, 19 months, of North Carolina died after trapping
themselves in a neighbor's car for at least a half hour. They had been
playing outside with their 4-year-old brother when they climbed into
the unlocked car and were unable to get out.
- June 17 -
6-month-old Daniel Scott Hadley of Utah died after his mom went to a
friend's house and accidentally left him in the car for two hours.
- June 14
- 3-year-old Rakala McLaughlin of South Carolina and her four siblings
were visiting their aunt and uncle when she snuck off to play in a car.
By the time she was discovered an unspecified amount of time later, she
- June 10 - 6-month-old Nicholas McCorkle of
Pennsylvania died when his grandfather forgot to drop him off to
daycare on his way to work. He accidentally left him in the car for six
- June 8 - 4-year-old Jason Rimer of Nevada, who
had special needs, died
when his family forgot him in a car after a family outing. He wasn't
discovered by his parents or seven siblings until the next morning. He
was trapped in the sweltering vehicle for 17 hours.
How can this happen? Go to page 3 for commentary from Janette Fennell,
founder and president of Kids and Cars, a national nonprofit group that
advocates for child safety. She also offers tips on making sure this doesn't
happen to you.